A few years ago, one of our neighbors on Roosevelt Island died of starvation. PayItForward, a subcommittee of the Social, Cultural & Educational Committee of the Roosevelt Island Residents’ Association (RIRA), was formed to make sure that nothing like that ever occurs again.
Members of PayItForward contacted the medical and religious communities to build a list of food-challenged neighbors who might need and appreciate a holiday food distribution. With help from the religious communities, and with contributions from generous individual donors, we were able to distribute food to our Island neighbors most in need.
Girl Scout volunteers for PayItForward.
Last year, our second, many of the building managements also contributed financially, making it possible for us to serve 80 households. This year, we hope to serve over 100 households, but we can only do so with financial contributions from this community.
We invite you to join us by contributing to our third annual holiday season food distribution in mid-December. Our most generous donor moved out of state this past year, so we’re hoping that more donors will step up – both individuals, building managements, and businesses – to help us make this the most impactful year yet.
Here’s how you can help:
1. Pay for a food box for one family at $45.00 each box. There are 20 families in need.
2. Pay for a couple’s box at $25.00 each box. We need 18 of these.
3. Pay for an individual bag of food at $15.00 each. We need 65.
4. Pay for a bag of prepared food at $50.00 each bag. We need 15 of these.
5. Help us pay for our supplies, including bags, decorations, ribbons, and cards. Or help in any other way you can.
Please give generously by Thursday November 30.
To donate, please contact Sara Metzidakis (email@example.com) or Lynne Shinozaki (Lynnestrong@hotmail.com). Checks should be made payable to “RIRA.”
Thank you for your thoughtful consideration and participation!